Tuesday 21 June 2011

1,000 miles overlooking the English Channel

And so, the 1,000 mile mark is reached, good run too, along the English Channel through Folkestone and Hythe.
999 miles...
...1,000

Not quite two months on the road and...
the VT750S passed the magic 1,000 miles today. OK, I agree that's not mega mileage, but considering how bad the weather's been over the last few weeks, that's not bad.

No problems to report at all, she runs well and seems to loosen up every time I take her out. To reiterate what I said at 500 miles, the VT750S is a pleasure to ride, quick enough for a little fun on A and B roads, yet comfortable and capable enough to sit at 80mph on the motorway when you have to.

My only gripe remains the heat generated by the catalytic converter on the top of the rear shotgun pipe and I've probably spent three hours polishing the marks that I caused removing the third lot of burned on plastic.

Other than that she's managing 60 to the gallon (UK Gal) without problem.

We'll be off to France with the bike probably early next month and luggage is set to be something of a challenge. At the minute the best I've come up with is a pair of throw-over panniers for a pushbike... I'm sure I can do better.

I'm not at all keen to weigh in nearly three hundred notes for the Honda carrier, which looks tidy, but that's a ridiculous price.

Oh yes, and the replacement fuel tank (you'll remember it has a tiny chip in it noticed on the day I went to collect her) is still on its way from Japan. The original; delivery date has been pushed back from June 11 to July 8. I can wait.


If you look closely at the speedo the odometer is reading 999. That's Hythe firing ranges and the  English Channel in the distance.