Wednesday 4 May 2011

Review Honda VT750S Tricolour 2011 (or VT750RS Tricolor in the USA)

My new VT750S Tricolour, first day, it even has the original dealer numberplate fitted
 Picked this up on Royal Wedding Day... 200 miles over the first weekend.

Sold my 2000 Fireblade to purchase this after purely because I liked the paintjob.

It was easy using Honda's zero per cent finance from those very nice people in Hastings at J S Gedge and Salesman Neil was still prepared to do a deal as well.

I've written about the performance machines I've had in the past two years – I've owned a Suzuki B-King, a tuned V-Max as well as the 'Blade I've just sold – and I really had got to the stage where it was time for a change. I need to slow down and the truth is, I'm tired of having to break the limit just to enjoy the bike.

So, after almost three years, the philosophy that made me buy the CB450 DX has come full circle and the VT750S fits the bill... but it cost almost 20 times as much..
(continues below picture)

My lad on the new VT750S Tricolour

What sold it was simply the 2011 Tricolour paint job (reminds me a lot of this on an FTR223 which you can see on this site too).

It's got to be run in 'on half throttle' for 500 miles. I'll have that out of the way this weekend (you can read also read conclusions after the first 500 miles).

But she seems happy at 70 already, you sit open to the wind and she reminds me of the Sportster 883 I owned a few years ago, which is no bad thing (I took that to Prague and back and even a lap of the Nurburgring in the 14,000 miles we notched up).

My lad (who's about 70lbs) says the pillion gets uncomfortable after 35 miles... I'm not sure I could suffer that long. But if a perch for a full grown pillion is on your wish list, look elsewhere.

This is an easy bike to ride. But better than that, after the skittish 'Blade which needed commitment all the time, the handling of the VT750 is confidence inspiring. I honestly think I'm quicker through some potholed bends than I was on the CBR929.

So we'll see, and I'll let you know.

First impressions. I like the torquey V-twin, it's got enough vibe to make itself noticeable but not the knuckle-swelling vibes of the 2001 Sportster I owned for a few years. It does have character, the handlebars vibrate noticeably on tickover, which is cool, but there's no noticeable intrusion when you're riding. The good part is, you feel like you've been for a ride (wind in the face and the vibration from the V-twin) but for me, I feel pretty refreshed when I get off, no aches or pains.

The VT has that simple bike feel: the suspension works but no one would call it plush but I love the seating position: upright, feet in the normal place and no ridiculous bend for the old (ish) knees, and (as the engine losoens up), there's more than enough torque to pull you through and out of bends without needing to change down.

The fuel injection is my only minor gripe, and it's a small one: there is a definite on-off feel when you close the throttle. So close the throttle running into a bend and on more powerful machines you do need to feed the power in gently. It is the same on the VT but since there's less absolute power than say my old Fireblade (which needed careful managing) so trailing throttle topower holds no real fear, but still be a litle careful to keep it smooth.

Two hundred miles on a tight engine is no test of a machine. The fuel tank is 10.7 litres, so two and a bit gallons (UK), and I'm currently getting 60mpg. But the fuel light comes on with a couple of litres still in the tank at around 120 miles. That's while running in mind. (Full specifications for the VT750S B 2011).

Comfort is subjective. But I'll notch up some miles and let you know. I like it, upright, traditional and no feet forward nonsense and your knees are not as bent as they are on the early 2000 mid-peg XL883, though you are turning into a parachute over 70 really with your arms spread. A screen may well be on my list for longer journeys.

This is no Goldwing but I reckon you could ride a couple of hours comfortably and if you're on a trip, you'll be needing fuel way before that. (Five hour day in the saddle see conclusions after the first 500 miles )

At the Hastings May Day Run on Monday I parked the Honda in town and received a couple of compliments, so ordinary folk like it.

On my old Blade every British biker gave you the nod, now fewer bother. I don't actually care, though I resented moving over to let a Fazer thou' pass on my way home from Hastings. But that's the price of simplicity and a more sensible pace.

And, as if to sum up the VT750S (or RS in the USA), my neighbour who hasn't ridden a bike for years but always takes an interest in my garage, offered to buy it from me and said he preferred it to the other stuff that has come and gone. It certainly has the look that makes people notice, and it's cheap too if you're seeking attention.

Honda is on to something with this bike and it's determination to sell is backed by the zero per cent finance deal with history suggesting decent residuals on this type of machine, I suspect there'll be a many more VT750s on the road this summer.

Go here for conclusions after the first 500 miles

3 comments:

  1. Really like the bike. Have been visiting my local (Amsterdam) Honda dealer for several times but I am still not convinced of buying it. I'd like to compare it with the Suzuki Intruder 800 I once had,
    but perhaps that's the wrong idea. I've had several (sports )bikes over the last years and I wonder if the power and the handling of te Honda will be satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fairness Peter, you'll miss the power sometimes, but you just need to be sure what you want to do with the bike. For me, my licence is safe for the first time in three years and it's been fun to watch the scenery go past rather than concentrate hard on setting up for the next bend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. 1972 county exempt california license plate

    ReplyDelete