Saturday 14 May 2011

Fork gaiters for the Honda VT750S and VT750RS


Honda has done a decent retro styling job with the latest VT750S but I wanted to fit fork gaiters for the complete Sixties look and as a big plus, they protect the stanchions from pitting.

So my first task was to find a pair of rubber gaiters that would fit the forks of the VT750S. There was nothing listed as original equipment and I couldn't find any pictures.
 They had to be rubber and black. I did look at the Harley-Davidson gaiters as fitted to the Iron and Nightster models of the Sportster but fifty quid for a couple of bits of rubber seemed ridiculous PLUS I couldn't be sure whether the Sportster forks were 39mm or 41mm, different sites gave different answers and if they're too short for other models of Sportster, which they are, then I doubted they'd fit the VT.
The VT forks are 41 mm and the about 60mm at the bottom. The search began. I was pretty confident that late-model 2001-on Bonnie and Thruxton gaiters will fit but I kept searching.

I ended up here, Mr Megapack where I found the right top and bottom dimensions (41mm top, 60mm bottom) with an overall length of 140mm, for £15 which is about right so I ordered. (As an aside, the service was good and they arrived by post within two days with a promise if they didn't fit they could be returned for a full refund. So, he's recommended).

 If I had a lift I would have dropped the fork legs but I remember reading in a bike mag years ago that you could cut and glue gaiters.

So, out with the glue from a puncture repair kit (couple of quid from any cycle store and far better than the dedicated Bostik rubber and plastic glue) which needs to be applied then left until it's just tacky to the touch.
And sharp heavy-duty scissors snipped the 3mm thick rubber.My tip after doing both is cut along the moulding mark, it looks cleaner when glued back together.
Cut the length of the gaiter, apply the glue before putting it around the leg, let it dry for a few mins holding the gaiter apart, then put it on and press each ridge together.

The rubber is pretty firm and careful pressure makes each ridge meet neatly enough and then leave the gaiter loose for 20 minutes until the glue's dried.
Compress the gaiter and clean any glue that might be on the leg, then cable tie the top and stretch the gaiter gently over the lower fork.

Allow to dry fully and it gives the front end of the VT a whole new look... and protects the fork tubes.

5 comments:

  1. I've just bought a pre-reg VT750S today! Nice tip about the the fork gaiters, but do they really stay glued together when in use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a little loctite for any persistent gaps, but they've been fine. I'm on 1,000 miles now. do let me know how you get on with bike, I'd be interested to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary, enjoyed your reviews of the 750S. I bought a pre reg one last June (the grey version). Very happy with it and looking forward to some longer trips on it hopefully this year. I bought the "reassuringly expensive" Honda rear rack for it, and also a Bagster tank cover which really gives it a bit of added character, as well as being useful for the Bagster tank bag of course.

    The economy of these bikes is amazing – I can't get less than 70mpg, which goes some way to mitigating against the rather small tank capacity.

    Very taken with your fork gaiters idea – are they still holding up after six months, even with all the up and down compression?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few emails on this too. The fella I bought them from seems to have sold out. But the dimensions are correct if you order any rubber gaiter - check out the Triumph Scrambler, they should work.
      Regarding the cutting. OK, really I should have dropped the forks and there have been a couple of holes appear, which I've superglued, and that works.
      Cut along the moulding seam and it looks better too. But for 15 quid, it's easier than dropping the forks....

      Delete
  4. Interesting, I never have heard of cutting and gluing gaiters before, but then all my bikes are sensible and have centre stands. That said if I had one of these I think I might invest in one of those bike lifts because at some time or another you're going to have to have the rear wheel out. Gaiters are sensible, even my sunny days only Ascot wears them. I'm amazed people can get 70 mpg out of the one of these though, my CB250RS barely does that and the Ascot struggles to get above 50mpg but then that is more highly tuned than the 750, has about 50hp from it's 500cc's I think. Small tank too but as I struggle to do much more than 30-40 miles in one go before I need to stop and rest (health issues and making sure I'm safe) that makes no odds to me. Regards and all, Michael.

    ReplyDelete