Monday 27 April 2009

Sold for just £385, a genuine good deal

So, she's sold. Last night 8pm. The buyer has yet to pick her up but at £385, it is a bargain.
What was interesting was the number of people who were watching - 62 - and yet only three chucked in a bid.
When you consider I bought her for £325 and have spent all the bits you can see here on the blog, the fella who bought her has a true bargain.

But that's the way it is, I thought p[ut her on there with no reserve and see. I honestly didn't expect to get my money back - I'm around £600 into it - but I thought £450 was realistic.
Perhaps the credit crunch is real and when you consider I bought a six-month-old Suzuki B-King on eBay last weekend for about 20 per cent under retail, then maybe we all need to take a hit as prices plummet.
However, here's an interesting thought:
The whole collapse of the banks meant that Sterling fell in value to an all-time low against the Euro (and against the Dollar)
So Brit dealers, especially in the south east where I live were selling truckloads of second-hand bikes which are being shipped to the continent.
Good for them, but not good for them or us in the longer terms.
Here's why:
A dealer who sells a new bike can often sell the same machine four or five times, taking it in part-exchange each time, so makes cash over a longer period. Now those bikes are out of circulation.
Plus decent quality used machines are now gone from the UK roads and that means when the pound recovers - as it surely will, the Euro looks set for collapse later this year - we won't have those bikes any more.
Also, new prices are going up. From Harley who've just implemented an increase of around seven percent, to our Japanese cousins, who work in dollars, prices are going up.
Don't be conned by 0 per cent finances deals , the truth is we're going to pay more.
But there's good news, that low mileage machine you have in your garage, or that you've just picked up for a bargain price, will hold its value well.
Cool huh?
(But my CB450DX really has sold too cheaply)

Disclaimer: Financial advice is offered without prejudice, remember investments can go up as well as down, the author's actual understanding of the world financial meltdown could be written on the back of a box of cigarettes, which is where most of his work is done.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, really enjoyed reading it as I've recently bought a 1990 CB450 DX myself.
    I've gone more for the rat bike look, matt black rattly can spray job and a nice twin headlight unit I picked up from Wemoto. I stuck a set of Goodridge braided hoses on the front, great deal from M and P and also replaced the master cylinder from an Ebay breaker as mine gave up the ghost. I've also gone for the Avon Distanzia on the back and a Speedmaster on the front, no complaints so far.
    I've decided to stick with the stock exhausts but the previous owner had decided to use exhaust gum, bandage and tinfoil instead of buying the proper seals (£5.80 each from Wemoto) so I'm stripping down, cleaning up and putting back together properly. Silencers done, just the downpipe/collector box to go.
    Hope you're enjoying the B King, it's a smart looking bike but a bit too futuristic for my taste. I find the older I get the more retro my taste in bikes goes, go figure....
    All I need now is some good weather and I'll rack up the miles on the CB. Had a mishap where the gear pedal linkage broke a couple of weeks ago but Ebay saved me again and I can't blame the bike for that.

    All the best, keep the sticky side down and the grin on your face.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete