Monday 23 February 2009

What do you mean you don't want a CB450DX?


I am not the sort of bloke who does web pages for fun, but in this case there is a need to help you with the 20 year old Honda CB450DX.
If you want a cheap, fun, easy to maintain, bike which will carry a passenger and cruise at 80 on the motorway all for under £400, then there ain't a lot out there.
And if you do decide the bastard offspring of the old CB400N (yes the much maligned Superdream) turned out in a Brazilian jungle and imported into Britain between 1989 and 92 is for you, then you are gonna have a difficult job finding out what you need to know.

This is an air-cooled, Honda twin with its ancestry firmly in the seventies yet there is no Haynes (or Clymer) manual, so I want to help because I could have done with it.
(If you can't be bothered to wait for me to transfer everything on here, then phone David Silverman pay them six quid and they'll send you a ring-bound copy of Honda's own dealer manual, everything from torque settings to tyre pressures and oil capacity, 3 litres since you ask and 32, 34psi will do it)
Correct tyre sizes are 3.60x19 (or 100/90 x 19 in modern money) for the front 4.10 x 18 at the rear(110 or 120/90in metric). It has same regulator as the HONDA CM 400 T and that could save a few quid.
The original exhaust will be dust by now and if you want a Motad, it fits easily, it cost me £140 from Busters - even though some people reckoned they can squeeze you for £190 - and I've just chucked an Avon Distanzia normally found on the back of dual purpose trailies which looks the biz and replaces the joke elastic band that had been stretched around the rim.
OK more later...

2 comments:

  1. Darn, I just wrote a long and eloquent comment here and g-so-and-so have lost it bcos they were insisting on my joining B, w my gmail account before I could post.. [!]

    I too have a DX [& the workshop manual!] and have a strange love of my machine, although I'm uncomfortable cruising above 55 on mine.

    Listed all the things I've done to mine in my last, lost comment. Would really appreciate it if you fancied coming up to NW London and lending a hand w the rest!

    Paul
    (i.want.my.phone.please@gmail.com)
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do with an owners handbook if thee is one out there evansmark28@sky.com

    ReplyDelete